Eastern Africa Universities Mathematics Programme (EAUMP)
The network EAUMP was constituted in 2002 by the Department of Mathematics at Makerere University (Uganda), University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM, Tanzania) and University of Nairobi (UoN, Kenya). A few years later the Departments of Mathematics at University of Rwanda (UR) and University of Zambia (UNZA) also joined the network.
In 2018 the network reported
- 8 PhD-graduations (3 local and 5 sandwich).
- 56 MSc-graduations.
- 38 publications in scientific journals
plus a number of conference contributions
The network also organized
- "The 2018 EAUMP Summer School and workshop on Homological Methods in Algebra and Geometry" at university of Dar es Salaam from 8 to 28 July 2018, in collaboration with ICTP,
- a workshop on "PDEs and Calculus of Variations" at the Department of Mathematics, UDSM, 1-5 October, 2018. The workshop was support by AIMS –Germany Research Chair under the Alexander Von Humboldt program, and co-organised with AIMS-Tanzania,
- "The 3rd Network Meeting for Sida- and ISP funded PhD students and Postdocs in Mathematics" with the theme: strengthening Research in Mathematics in Universities with Sida and ISP support. This meeting aimed at forming regional research groups in different fields of mathematics.
The objectives of the network are:
- Enhancement of postgraduate training with special emphasis to PhD training.
- Establishing and strengthening collaborative research in Mathematics areas of interest in the region.
- Strengthening the collaborating Mathematics departments in terms of equipment and literature.
- Development of resources for the collaborating Mathematics Departments.
- Postdoctoral training of academic staff.
EAUMP News and Events
The 4th EAUMP Conference and the 5th Network Meeting for Research Groups in Mathematics in Sub-Saharan Africa, to be held in Arusha, Tanzania, 17-22 August, 2020.
- An evaluation of the network was performed during 2016, and is now available.
Some rescent Licentiate theses by EAUMP- students (to be updated)
- Murara, Jean-Paul, 2016, "Asset Pricing Models with Stochastic Volatility", Mälardalen University, School of Education, Culture and Communication, Educational Sciences and Mathematics, and University of Rwanda.
- Banda, Adson, 2016, "Half–Exact Coherent Functors over PIDs and Dedekind Domains", Department of Mathematics, Linköping University, and University of Zambia.
- Kurujyibwami, Célestin, 2016, "Group classification of linear Schrödinger equations by the algebraic method", Department of Mathematics, Linköping University, and University of Rwanda.
Tumwesigye, Alex Behakanira, 2016, "On one-dimensional dynamical systems and commuting elements in non-commutative algebras", Mälardalen University, School of Education, Culture and Communication, Educational Sciences and Mathematics, and Makerere University.
Mayambala, Fred, 2015, "Mean-Variance Portfolio Optimization: Eigendecomposition-Based Methods", Linköping Studies in Science and Technology, and Makerere University.
Ongaro, Jared, 2014, "Towards Plane Hurwitz Numbers", Stockholm University, Department of mathematics, and University of Nairobi.
Rao, Wyclife Ogik, 2014, "Quantum Graphs and Equi-transmitting Scattering Matrices", Department of Mathematics, Stockholm University, and University of Nairobi.
Kikonko, Mervis, 2014, "Qualitative and Spectral theory of some regular non-definite Sturm-Liouville problems", Luleå University of Technology, Department of Engineering Sciences and Mathematics, Mathematical Science, and University of Zambia.
Dr Eunice Mureith, UDSM, email: email@example.com
Dr John Mango, Makerere, email: firstname.lastname@example.org